We’re on the eve of this year’s edition of The Game Awards (TGA 2023), and host Geoff Keighley took some time to share a few details in advance.
While the ceremony may be named after the prizes for the best games released in any given year, it’s also one of the best places for developers and publishers to share new trailers for their upcoming titles.
In a recent Q&A streamed on Twitch, Keighley said TGA 2023 has received fewer teasers from the organizers because it will include more game announcements than past editions.
We’re probably going to tease fewer games that will be at the show because I believe we have more new game announcements than normal in our show. Most of the games that will be at TGA 2023 are kind of unannounced things. There obviously are existing games that we will show more on, but there’s lots that we just won’t tease or talk about in advance of the show, which I’m excited about. Hopefully, there’ll be some stuff that will surprise you. We always have to cross our fingers that there are not going to be any crazy leaks or anything leading into Thursday, but I think we’re going to have a lot of great stuff to share with you.
While Keighley and his team are keeping things tightly under wraps for now, there are some known quantities that we’ve listed below:
- Dragon Age: Dreadwolf would have been an obvious candidate to appear at TGA 2023, but BioWare elected to drop a trailer beforehand and schedule a full reveal for next Summer, so it likely won’t be there.
- Larian said it’ll announce the release date of the Xbox version of Baldur’s Gate 3 at the event.
- SEGA sent out teasers to select content creators for a game announcement scheduled at TGA 2023.
- Sharkmob, the studio behind the short-lived Battle Royale Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodhunt, will announce a new game.
- Focus Home Entertainment will unveil the exact launch date of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2.
- Ubisoft will show off a new story trailer for Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown.
- The new Rocket Racing game made by Psyonix in Fortnite will get a reveal trailer.
- The Soulslike game codenamed Project AK, in development at Nexon’s NEOPLE, will be unveiled at TGA 2023. Its final name will be The First Berserker: Khazan, and it will launch on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series S|X.
- Digital Extremes will confirm the release date of Warframe’s Whispers in the Walls update.
Other games are only rumored to appear. The first on this list is undoubtedly Death Stranding 2. Hideo Kojima is known to be close with Geoff Keighley. He has recently teased video editing and flying to Los Angeles via Twitter, and the game is reportedly targeting a 2024 launch, according to last year’s rumor. Embark’s 3v3v3 competitive multiplayer first-person shooter game The Finals is also extremely likely to be launched with a ‘shadow drop’ during the event.
On the more speculative side, 4A Games might present their next Metro game. Embracer Group CEO Lars Wingefors confirmed the project over four years ago. Earlier this year, insider Tom Henderson reported that it was fully playable, with a scheduled reveal before the end of 2023 and a 2024 launch window. The most recent rumor from NateDrake also teases that Arkane Lyon’s next project (likely to be Dishonored 3, according to Bethesda’s own leaked schedule) will be at TGA 2023.
In the Twitch Q&A, Geoff Keighley also shared the expected length of TGA 2023. The full show (set to air on all social media channels and via the popular imo messaging app starting at 4:30 PM Pacific Time) will last between two and a half and three hours. Are you going to tune in, or perhaps you’d rather check the highlights afterward? Let us know in the comments.